Friday 4 July 2014

Food Friday: Aunt Rayma's Buns

My Grandma Oviatt makes the most delicious buns I have ever tasted! They are to die for and I look forward to having them every time I go to her house. Growing up we would go visit her and the house would be filled with the smell of fresh baked buns. I have always wanted to be able to make her buns and maybe one day achieve the welcoming atmosphere that can only be achieved by the sweet aroma of baking bread. I got Grandma's recipe once but at first glance it seemed pretty difficult and I never feel like I have the time to pull it off.

I have found my solution... my Aunt Rayma's buns! Her recipe is so easy and best of all only takes three hours max. Added bonus... they are delicious! The recipe calls for 'fermipan yeast' and I have only ever made it using that particular brand but I'm sure that another kind of yeast could be used as well.

Disclaimer: These are not the healthiest buns on the market. I feel like with the recent 'health kick' I need to point out that in our house buns are not a staple and when I do make them Matt gets very excited because they are a treat. When we have kids and if I wanted to make home made bread on a regular I might try to find a healthier recipe. For now I love how these buns taste and I will probably stick with this recipe for a while.

Here is the recipe:
  • 3 cups warm water
  • 8 tbsp sugar
  • 6 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp yeast
  • 2 eggs
  • 7-8 cups flour
  1. Mix yeast and four cups of flour in a bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl whip eggs, sugar, oil, and water. I do this in my mixer so that I can easily convert to a dough hook later.
  3. Add the flour/yeast mixture and blend well.
  4. Add salt and remaining flour. Change to the dough hook when needed. The dough should be elastic and soft. 
  5. Let rise for fifteen minutes. 
  6. Punch down. Do not knead. 
  7. Let rise for another fifteen minutes.
  8. Punch down and form buns. 
  9. Place buns on a greased pan, cover, and let rise in a warm place for one hour.
  10. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 mins, or until brown on the bottom.
  11. Take buns off pan and brush with butter. Cover and let cool for a bit. *This steps makes the buns nice and soft.
Enjoy!! I love this recipe as dinner rolls but I have also added a little extra sugar and made it into cinnamon buns... also very delicious! 



No comments:

Post a Comment