Wednesday 7 May 2014

Happiness Resolution #1: Start A Blog

Earlier this year I read a book called "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. In it she writes about a year she spend doing a "Happiness Project". She did a bunch of research on what makes people happy. The research looked into different religions, psychological studies, philosophers, and tons of other sources. Gretchen made a different resolution each month based on what she thought might make her happier on a day to day basis and her final goal was that by december she would be able to keep all the different resolutions.


I was so inspired by the idea of a happiness project. Don't get me wrong, I am not an unhappy person. I have an amazing husband, a great family, and just graduated from university with my teaching degree. Great things are happening in my life; I am so grateful for everything that I have and look forward to the next steps in my life with Matt. My interest in the happiness project idea is based on the fact that I don't want to look back on my life in ten or twenty years and realize that I didn't enjoy this point in my life like I should have. Sooooo... I am going to do my own happiness project. It probably won't be as structured as the one in the book but I want to make small changes in my life to help me recognize my blessings and realize how happy I really am!

One of Gretchen's resolutions was to start a blog. I chose this as my first 'happiness resolution' because I hope that a blog will give me a place to reflect on my life. As a member of the LDS church we always talk about counting your blessings, I hope that my blog will be a place for me to count my blessings and focus on things that make me happy. I will track my hobbies and interests and journal life events. I also wanted a place where I could track my happiness resolutions and a blog felt like the perfect place to do this because I would be held accountable by an audience (even if I am imagining that it exists, haha). A blog also gave me a place to continue writing now that I am done university. I completed an English degree and during my degree I did a lot of writing. It was mostly obligatory writing for my classes, like essays and reflections, I am looking forward to writing for my own enjoyment again!!

Welcome to my first Blog! I apologize that not all the pages are completely developed. Stay tuned!

If you want more information about Gretchen Rubin and her Happiness Project 
visit her blog at: http://www.gretchenrubin.com



No comments:

Post a Comment